Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cheap Apt : New York :: Skyscraper : Texas

Like I said before, this whole blog thing started because I wanted to – no HAD to – share my ridiculous stories of the New York fam that took me in (so to speak). The Crazies rented an astronomically-priced apartment for the Daughter in the East Village. They offered to charge me a fraction of the rent as long as I was willing to give up my room every “6 weeks or so” when they decided to fly up from Texas to visit.

6 weeks my ass. It was actually more like every 3 weeks or so that I found myself displaced onto the couch. At first I didn’t mind, as I hadn’t yet experienced the full extent of the crazy. After a while, I got tired of finding The Mister’s smelly shirts hanging in my closet, and politely going along with The Missus and her attempts to make me help her analyze The Daughter and her downward spiral.

But there were perks, so I stayed put. Expensive dinners, a few shopping trips, and LOW RENT were among the reasons I stuck it out. Along with the endless fodder produced by their visits, which I used to entertain my friends.

Forgive me for sounding shallow, but we’re not talking low rent in some crap apartment. That would be low rent in a duplex apartment with, a huge living room/kitchen/half-bath downstairs, and 2 huge bedrooms/full bath upstairs. For just the two of us. Well, and the Mister and Missus when they came to visit. If you live in New York, you understand what this means. Amazing.

(The courtyard in the middle of my old apt complex)

What can I say, real estate is a precious commodity in this city. It was worth disinfecting my room every 3 weeks or so. Well, most of the time.

And, let’s face it, I probably wouldn’t have cleaned it that often otherwise …

No comments: