Monday, February 8, 2010

Blog Rant: Why We Blog

I’ve recently had conversations with several people regarding the banality/triviality/superficiality of many blogs residing on the “Internets.”

And I suppose mine may fall into this category.

But …

I try to be accessible, to be witty and entertaining in my ramblings. I try to post things frequently enough to hold any sort of interest I’m lucky enough to capture.

I realize that these are stories mostly about me, and that you probably don’t care if I ever talk to that one guy that I really liked ever again, or that I think brunch is one of the greatest inventions on the planet and that New York City is the preeminent place for it.

Maybe you don’t think that the exploits of my best friend and I (a.k.a. Heterosexual Life Partner - LP) are quite as hilarious as we do. I mean, we find the fact that we continually get ourselves into some pretty preposterous situations endlessly entertaining.

Come on – how many of YOU have met the winner of Israel’s American-Idol-equivalent while eating bacon-wrapped hotdogs at 2 AM, only to call bullshit (we really thought those were fake accents …) then later learn that he’s telling the truth after looking up the web address on the bottom of the business card he gave you? (Yes, business card! I also received an e-mail address instead of a phone number the other day as well – another tale for another time).

Of course, I would be thrilled if you did find this interesting. Hell, some of my favorite blogs are exactly this – random snapshots of other people’s lives that I find endlessly fascinating. (See: Stephanie Klein’s Greek Tragedy; Jennsylvania; Suburban Turmoil).

It’s like an escape into someone else’s reality. An excuse to encourage the voyeur inside yourself. A chance to temporarily banish boredom or the remnants of a bad day.

So I guess that’s what I’m offering. A chance for strangers (but realistically, I’m sure, mostly just a handful of friends) to hear about life in the City, to – hopefully – get a kick out of the crazy situations I frequently land myself in.

Belatedly, I realize that I should have chosen another name for this blog in order for the following argument to hold validity. But I still stand by it – I just like puns and thought “Tex and the City” would be cute.

I’m no Carrie Bradshaw, and – even though girls my age that blog tend to be involuntarily slapped with this label – I’m not trying to be one. Seriously.

Just trying to create an outlet for all of these words swirling about in my head that demand they be formed into proper thoughts; into sentences that march across a page.

No comments: