Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Power Box

Even though my first bromance-making endeavor was technically a failure, BrewSkee-Ball has totally come through for me.

-Team moniker-

Not only have I added a few bros to my roster, I've picked up a few new girlfriends as well.

When the guys introduced me to their teammate Mad, I fell instantly in love with her (as people are apt to do). Luckily, the feeling was mutual – hence the birth of the homance, as coined by one of my all-time fave bros, Skeazy E.

We’re well into our second skeeson (a.k.a. season) of [insert appropriate pre-fix]-mance, and things couldn’t be better. Returning to Full Circle after the holidays – the “national home of BrewSkee-Ball” – was more exciting than returning to my actual family during the holidays (sorry, Mom).

Side-note: Ironically, there's also an off-shoot league in Austin. I’ve checked out some of the pictures (and though I’m admittedly biased) have concluded that my NYC fam looks way more fun. No offense, Austin.

Anyway, Mad and I were talking resolutions after the holidays, and I told her about my goal to, err… make some goals.

Which is when she mentioned the Power Box, a concept that one of her friends has apparently successfully employed. Supposedly, the box will work for anything – goals, resolutions, hopes, dreams, wishes – however you’d like to frame it.

Mad’s friend, for instance, really wanted to be in a committed relationship. So she spent time thinking about all of the qualities she’d like to find in a significant other. She then spent time choosing the type of paper and the type of box that she wanted to use to record and store her thoughts.

She wrote the traits down on her paper, folded them neatly and put them in her box. She put the box underneath her bed. A few months later, she met someone with 90% of the characteristics she had identified and stored in the box.

Crazy.

I don’t know – you may be one of those people that think these types of things are a crock ‘a shit. I used to be, until The Family Psychic.

But I think you have to believe in it for it to work. Because ultimately, what it makes you do is believe in yourself.

It forces you to put thought into the things that you want to accomplish. The act of writing them down and putting them out there commits you. It’s like keeping a food journal.

And if you put them out there, you’re more likely to accomplish those goals than if you’d just left them swimming around in your subconscious.

Mad went out and bought her box – she said the one she chose was on sale because it was kind of broken. But that she had to have it, because she thinks she’s kind of broken as well. I was impressed with how much thought she put into it and am susbequently sucked in.

I’m going to make a Power Box.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments: