Thursday, December 3, 2009

Basketball, Broadway and Bromance

You've seen the t-shirts at the gym. The ones in different neon colors that are often a few sizes too big for the girls lined up on the elliptical machines. Zog Sports, huh? Must be some young-professional Christian thing... (When you're in Texas, these kinds of guesses are actually legitimate, and would probably be correct).

Intramural sports for those of us who still wish we were in college? Sign me up.

First attempt: wiffle ball with the rooms. This didn't work out so well, mainly because the games were held in some weird, paved lot on the Upper West Side. We live in the East Village... getting Manhattanites to cross over to the other side of the island is like getting your Grandma to switch detergent brands. Most likely aint gonna happen (unless the word free is involved - which works in both cases).

Next, after the failed wiffle ball season: basketball. Basketball and I have been in love since my Youth Association days. Sadly, I wasn't good enough to play college ball (you know, being a short white girl and all...) but loved pickup games and IM at Gregory. I also played twice a week in a women's leauge in Austin after I graduated.

So putting down my 80 bucks for co-ed Zog basketball only seemed logical. I find myself in short supply of good guy friends in the city, which is kind of irksome (not to mention boring...) for a girl who basically grew up as one of the guys. Thinking this would be a good excuse to bro out, I showed up to my first team gathering and met... the married Broadway theatre actors.

After initial disapointment in my failure to make any new bromances, I realized that this was way cooler and exactly the reason that I love living in New York City. I am constantly inspired and motivated by the people that I meet.

During our season, one of the guys was hoping to land a role in the revival of Ragtime on Broadway .


Turns out he did and it's getting rave reviews. I'm hoping to go see him this month.

And in the meantime, you can find me on Sundays at my next co-ed, potential bromance-making endeavor: BrewSkeeBall.

Side note: SkeeBall is also great for homances. More on this later...

No comments: