Monday, December 7, 2009

"I'm actually in to capes and lasers"

-Rach

Even though I live in the City, part of me will always be a hippy. When things get super stressful, I dream of mountains and Colorado and I turn on Rift or Lawn Boy.

When Phish announced tour dates last Summer, several Lil' Bro phone conversations were dedicated to our obsession with obtaining tickets.

He was going to fly to New York (well, actually, he originally planned to Road Trip - if you know my brother, you are laughing right now) so we could go see Phish at Jones Beach.

Until we saw the prices - $1,000 a piece for seats in the last row in the upper right hand corner of the amphitheatre? Right.

Which brought us to plan b: Me + Bro + Canoe = . . .

["If you could only see what I see when I walk on the stage. I see the faces, I see joy, and if that's escapism for 3 hours, then fine. There are enough bad messages in our culture that people are being bombarded with, constantly. You're not good enough, you don't look right, you don't have enough money.' And to be able to look at a large group of people looking back at you, who don't look like they have a care in the world for 15 seconds, and not only that but joy, actual joy etched onto their faces for that bit of time....its such an honor."]
-Trey

I mean, it could work, right??

In the end, I went with the more practical (yet boring) plan c. When Rachey told me one of her friends had an extra ticket to a show at MSG last week, I totally stalked him until he sold it to me. I met up with him, another friend, and ... HIS DAD who had bought the tickets, sat with us, and jammed out through the entire concert. Amazing. Did I mention these were seats on the floor? For $50.00?


Obviously, I called Lil' Bro during intermission, just to rub it in. We love each other like that.

I also called Momma J, who couldn't believe a sane adult was willingly in attendance. She's of the opinion that every song sounds the same, and can't stand the "jam." "So how many songs did they play? One?"

Snark.

She talked to Lil' Bro the next day and mentioned that friends and I were also going to see Ghostland Observatory, thinking he would be impressed with my week in concerts.

His reply: "That's like having a really shitty dessert following the most amazing meal of your life."

Hater.

Ghostland was a-m-a-z-i-n-g per usual. How can you not love Aaron Behrens? And lasers?? I know I do.