Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Marathon Weekend: Part II

The weekend that LP had her boy meltdown (what seems like a million years ago as opposed to mere months), we discovered one of our favorite brunch spots in the East Village. Our love affair with Café Orlin was instantaneous and so strong that we went back the next day.

Of course food couldn’t solve the shit she was going through, but 5 variations of the most sublime eggs benedict ever invented definitely stifled some of the depression.

I’ve since been back for dinner with the LP, and for dessert with one of the most awkward dates of all time. Although the dinner company was obviously superior to the dessert company, both visits were still amazing as far as the culinary experience.

We finally went back last Saturday during Part II of The Marathon Weekend. Over brioche French toast and more eggs benedict, we discussed the Ozzie situation and discovered that I had a text from a long-lost boyfriend of my own.

I met “Garth” (as in Algar of Wayne’s World) on Halloween, and was pretty proud of myself for my ability to make a boyfriend while rocking my heinous plastic, ankle-to-thigh, post-surgery leg brace and crutches. Sympathy vote maybe?

Anyway, my friend EV was dressed as Liza that night, complete with silky cropped wig. After examining pictures from Halloween night I concluded A) that I probably shouldn’t have been as proud of my boyfriend-making skills as I thought I should be; and B) that Garth and Liza should never have a love child. Those glasses and Liza’s hair just don’t go together…


I had exchanged numbers with Garth that night. We’ve since texted a few times but not hung out as he doesn’t live in Manhattan (score another point for Garth… ) So I wasn’t surprised when I received this gem at 3:30AM:

How’s my favorite bed in the city?

We should probably set Garth and his lips up with Ozzie and his bed and call it a day.

Anyway, after our Orlin fix, we decided to go track down friends that were at Santacon. By that time it was around 1PM so we figured they’d be drunk enough not to care that we weren’t dressed up at all.

Several detours later ($35 spent at the Young Designers Market, a random key-chain purch in a cutesy Village drugstore, finding the Free Store in a random/awesome market, a tour of Babeland, and a snack at Rice to Riches) we decided to have dinner at Lombardi’s, just for the helluvit.

Where we met Kenneth from 30 Rock’s doppelganger and were outraged by the no credit card/$3.00 ATM fee situation that no one mentioned during our 45 minute wait. But generally happy with the pizza.

Afterwards we went in search of Bank of America to avoid further ATM gouging, and somehow ended up in Little Italy eating cannolis and stumbling upon a parade of Mitzvah Mobiles (campers with Hanukah propaganda and 5 foot tall menorahs roped to the roof) before deciding to meet our friend CB at Cheap Shots, which turned into Doc Holliday's which turned into the Horseshoe.

Still we had not hung out with a single Santa – only stalked them from afar. Until we met up with EV, but more on this later.

This was actually the first time EV and the LP had met – they got along famously until LP semi-Irish-exited for Long Island.

I suppose I could have just told you Marathon: Day II was a combination of The Hangover and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and let you make your own conclusions, but what's the fun in that?

If only we had met NPH - preferably dressed as Santa - it would have been pretty complete.

No comments: